Thursday 19 April 2012

When is too much entertainment too much entertainment?

Not so long ago people complained that they had 80+ TV channels but there was never anything on that they wanted to watch when they wanted to watch it.

Fast forward to modern day and "On Demand" television has destroyed that previous complaint that we had. Now we can watch all those TV programs, sometimes entire seasons or series, whenever we want to watch them.

But a new complaint has arisen, just to prove that mankind is never happy. The complaint is this "There's too much to watch". Yes, we've gone from no choice to too much choice.

Now we come home after a hard days slog and there's a list as long as the full version of Free Bird, of must see TV that we have to watch before the world implodes! But there's just not enough time in the day to watch these programs and the fun of watching them is hampered by the daunting amount of time that needs to be dedicated to them, and to make matters worse these shows just keep coming.

I'm currently watching the following:
Breaking Bad Season 3, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Community, Damages and The Borgias. These are all on demand using Netflix or Virgin. However I'm also watching tv shows that are on during the week, like The Apprentice and Homeland. When am I supposed to watch all of this stuff?

Netflix is great for TV Shows, but damn their oily hides for having so much stuff on there!!
And that's just television! I also have an xbox, with a large array of games that I'm currently playing.

I'm currently playing the following:
Warriors Orochi 3, Skyrim, Gears of War 2, Kingdoms of Amalur, Metal Gear Solid HD, Silent hill HD and have just got The Witcher 2.

Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur and The Witcher 2 alone is over 60 hours worth of game play at the very least! I'm not even going to get into the amount of Xbox live arcade games I'm also in the middle of...

What about seeing friends? Making the movies I'm trying to make? Seeing my wife and child? It seems that I have too much entertainment to entertain me with and not enough time to be entertained.

The only possible way that you'd be able to focus on this so called entertainment would be to become a hermit. Then you could watch all those tv shows, complete all those games and die alone and miserable, like most of the characters I've made on The Sims.

So what is the solution? Sell the xbox? Focus on the one tv show? Get a clone?

I don't know, but I'm seriously considering winning the lottery, maybe then I'll have the time?

No comments: