Monday 1 February 2010

Half Arsed Review - The Un-Invited


I watched the Un-Invited last night, which after 5 minutes seemed really familiar, and after a quick look on IMDB my suspicions were confirmed that it was an American "re-imagining" of the Korean mind-fuck "A Tale of Two Sisters".

The Korean movie, was great. Had some pretty disturbing imagery in it and had an awesome twist I didn't see coming, and was a total mind-fuck to boot, as I mentioned above.

The Un-Invited has elements that are the same as the Korean movie but it's not identical like "Funny Games" or "The Ring". So I did enjoy it as a film in it's own right but certain things did seem predictable... and that was before I realised I'd seen something similar before.

This film, however, does get the coveted 10 point prize, of having the BEST opening line in any movie I have ever seen so far up to the point of me writing this sentence...

The main girl (who is played by the older girl from A Series of Unfortunate Events) is kissing some Emo kid on a beach, and they're getting a little hot and heavy. He looks at her and then uses the best line I have ever heard.

"I love you... I've got a condom"

Wow, this guy was doomed to die a virgin!

Anyway, check it out if you've not seen the original or if you have and want an american comparrison. It's got some decent acting in it and some jumpy moments. There are moments where you'll shout at the television due to stupidity of the central characters, but no more than any other mid-tier horror.

For a hardenend horror fan like me, it didn't bring anything new to the table, but differs from the original movie to become a film in it's own right.

If I had to give it a score then I would, but as this isn't Nazi Germany I wont.

No comments: